Thursday, May 13, 2010

How the Sith Slipped Into a Novel

This is my first post on the Splashdown blog. In Tales of the Dim Knight, there are many quite intentional inferences of great superheroes past. From the well-known Superman and Batman to the less appreciated Darkwing Duck and Underdog. In fact the only superhero fav I can think of that we didn't make reference to was Super Chicken. I've really got to figure out a way to get that in, even if causes me to sprain a mental muscle.

Well, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.



In addition to the above named superheroes, we have fun with Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Crocodile Hunter among others. Of course, sometimes pop culture pops up unexpectedly. In 2002, I worked on a novel and I thought I'd written such a cool line. "We always had three roommates. No more, no less."

I sent my brother a draft and in his own (not so) gentle way, he reminded me that had been in Star Wars: Episode 1. ("There are always two Sith, no more, no less.") I sheepishly removed the line. It was not in this particular novel, but an unpublished work about a dying minister hospice called, Two Sides of the Hill. If that line had made publication, some people would have wondered how the Sith got into the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment